Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thing 7: Face-to-Face Networks and Professional Organizations

Well, I don't belong to any organizations, so I can't add much regarding the subject. I've had the opportunity to attend several conferences that were put on by different organizations that I don't belong to, but that's as far as my involvement in organizations goes.

My lack of involvement is entirely my own. When I first began working in libraries, I had no idea about different organizations, and, honestly, I didn't really care. Once I started to have more interest in continuing working in libraries, I became aware of the organizations, but I felt they were more of a librarian thing. Since I wasn't a librarian, I just figured they weren't for me. Later, though still not a librarian, I decided to research some of the organizations. From some people, I still felt that my involvement might be somewhat frowned upon. However, I didn't really let it discourage me because I do have an interest in joining, librarian or not. Since there have been certain changes in my personal library land--CPD23 and changes at work, I no longer feel that way. I feel that the library world is much more welcoming than some people may have led me to believe, which is a very nice feeling. Side note: I can also be rather paranoid and tend to overthink things, which is highly possible. Regardless, feeling welcomed in a community I thoroughly enjoy being a part of is quite lovely.

Mostly, I've researched ALA, and I do have a strong interest in joining. The only thing stopping me now is not knowing what position I'll be in next month. And by that I mean, not knowing if I'll have a library job or not next month. Even if I don't have a job, there are still options, and I'm still interested in joining. I would like to keep myself in the library world in as many ways as I possibly can whether it be through volunteering, joining the Friends, and being a member of ALA. In my dream of dreams, of course, I hope to get a library job. Currently applying, and will continue to apply as jobs are posted. There is also potential to join a state organization, which I'll look into after my move.

For the informal organizations, I looked into Library Society of the World, which looks pretty neat and a lot of fun. I always enjoy some humor with my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment